Summer is here! Finally! It’s been a long time coming. Believe me, I’m beyond excited for all of the adventures this summer is sure to bring. I will be traveling to Austria for three weeks at the end of July, which is going to be incredible, but also scary on the allergy front. In between now and then, I’m working full time and trying to soak up as much sun and summer fun as I can. This weekend I spent outside as much as possible – I visited the Pittsburgh Zoo, took a hike with my boyfriend and his brothers in the fields behind their house, went for a run at Duff Park through the woods and spent a lot of time just chilling on my porch. Glorious! While this weekend has already proved that summer is going to be great, I figured setting a few goals for the summer wouldn’t be a bad thing 🙂
Summer Bucket List
- Go for a bike ride on the Boston Trail. I used my bike so much during the fall semester, but I didn’t use it as much in the spring. I want to get back into riding, though. It’s so peaceful, and I’ve always liked it more than running. Aside, of course, from the nasty soreness the next day!
- Go camping! The food (mountain pies, s’mores!), the hiking, the friendship, sleeping under the stars. What could be better?
- Get a tan. Last summer, I spent a lot of time inside working. While it gave me great experience (and a fair amount of extra cash), I was left ghost white. This summer, things will be different!
- Learn to roast a chicken, Julia Child style. Julia Child is such an inspiration to me – I love how she cooks things so they taste good, rarely worrying about how much butter or fat is involved. And now that I’m eating chicken again, I feel like it’s the perfect time!
- Swim! I love being in the water – as a kid, I spent hours in my babysitter’s pool. I started off the summer season right last weekend by swimming at a friends, not feeling self conscious about my swimsuit one bit. Can’t wait to continue the good vibes!
- Learn to make alterations with the sewing machine. Life would be so much easier if clothes off the rack just fit. But alas, I’m 5 feet tall, wear a DD cup, and am petite otherwise – not quite the easiest sizing arrangements. So I plan to learn how to (at least) shorten skirts and pants, and also hopefully to take in dresses and tops.
- Go out to dinner for lobster. Never done it. I need to. Self explanatory, I say.
- Pick blackberries and bake a pie! This was my favorite activity from last summer – I can’t wait to do it again. 🙂
- Finish season seven of Mad Men. My boyfriend and I were addicted to this show during the school year. Now that it’s warm outside, we’ve been slacking on making sure to catch up.
- Read. A lot. I’m hoping to get through some cookbooks, “Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures,” “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Joyous Health.”
What are your summer plans?