Why hello there. How have you been? Are you enjoying tea season yet or is it still warm where you live? Here in Maryland it’s still pretty warm and humid and definitely not time to throw on sweaters and boots. I’m okay with that. The end of September is cool enough here to actually breathe outside, which is what I’m primarily interested in when it comes to weather. Last night I rode my bike a bit and felt a breeze on my face without being chilled – that’s perfection.
To be honest, the changing weather has absolutely nothing to do with this post. It just seems like everyone in blogland is all about pumpkin this and apple that and I figured I’d contribute by saying: no, it still isn’t cold yet. CHILL.
Instead, this recipe comes from a major need to eat some real nourishing foods. Lately, my schedule has been wiping me out. I’ve been having some health issues that are causing things to go a bit haywire on top of a crazy schedule that requires a lot of energy. Teaching seven fitness classes each week takes a lot of out of a girl on top of school and interning and running a club. This morning I woke up feeling like the life had been sucked out of me, even though it was just weekend. “I’m taking vitamins! I’m exercising! I slept for 8 hours!” I thought to myself. “What the heck is going on?”
So I decided to make a meal chock full of protein and some veggies I had on hand, and it turned out to be this incredible southwest inspired dish. Quinoa serves as the base for arugula, a lime vinaigrette and a beautiful poached egg. I’ve seen poached eggs everywhere lately – that yolk has had me drooling for one of my own. I used to loathe egg yolks – I didn’t understand the golden glory that comes when you actually salt and pepper them. Now that I know….I’m never turning back. The best part of this recipe is not the egg yolk, though that is a close second. Instead is that I felt noticeably more energetic and full after eating it.
Zippy Lime Quinoa with Arugula and Poached Egg
Vegetarian and peanut, tree nut, soy and gluten free
1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 handful arugula
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of hot sauce (if desired)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by cooking your quinoa according to package instructions. Don’t forget to rinse (I totally did and had to rinse in the middle of the cooking process)!
2. While the quinoa is cooking, bring a few inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Crack the egg in a separate ramekin. Once a few bubbles begin to rise, pour the egg into the water slowly, then turn off the heat. Cover and wait 4 minutes for a lovely poached egg. For a tutorial including pictures on this, look here.
3. Once the quinoa is finished cooking, transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in the arugula.
4. Dress with lime, olive oil, vinegar and garlic powder.
5. Top with poached egg. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
6. Enjoy, especially when you crack that poached egg and the yolk runs over everything. YUM.