Lately I’ve been cooking a lot of egg-centric, compote butter-filled recipes. I made vegetarian migas, then I made some avocado compote butter. This recipe combines the two – a savory French toast (encrusted with romano cheese) topped with a sun dried tomato basil compote butter. Woah. I was inspired by How Sweet It Is on this recipe, though of course, I adapted it to have gluten free possibilities!
This recipe is a little rich and maybe a little fancy. When I told my boyfriend about it, he said it sounded fancy or gourmet. The think about it is, while your ingredients may be a little fancy or gourmet in this recipe, the actual preparation takes less than an hour, and it’s fairly easy.
I used my multigrain bread to make the French toast for my mom and myself, but for my sister, we used gluten free bread in a separate egg mixture. She loved it just as much as we did, so I figure that’s a success!
Let’s make savory French toast!
Savory French Toast
Peanut, tree nut, soy and sesame free
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup Romano cheese
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 slices per person of gluten free or multigrain bread
3 tbsp. butter
5 tbsp. butter
Handful of basil, chopped
1/4 cup rehydrated sundried tomatoes (NOT IN OIL), chopped
1. Start with the compote butter. Soften the 5 tbsp. butter, mix in the basil and sundried tomatoes. You can shape into a log on wax paper, or just serve it in a bowl.
2. Now to the egg mixture: whisk eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Separate the mixture if you are serving gluten free and regular eaters.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over the stove on medium-high heat. Add the 3 tbsp. butter to grease the pan.
4. Dip the bread in egg mixture. Make sure it’s covered! Now cook in the pan on each side until they are brown. This may take longer than you expect, especially at first.
5. Top the French toast with compote butter and a little extra cheese. Enjoy!